Stuck in a texting dilemma?
Want to click the Submit button but aren't sure if it's the right step?
Copywriting can be difficult; What if you seem overly eager, or worse, needy?
Well fear not because we have all the answers you need.
In this post, we covered some rules to help you determine when you should and shouldn't send him a text.
So if your thumbs are itching to write something, keep reading!
You will never send the same text again.
What's in this post:
- Is it bad to text a guy first?
- When is it wrong to text him first?
- Should I write to him? 17 rules you should know
- Don't send him rules
- 1. Don't text him when you're drunk.
- 2. Don't text him when you're angry.
- 3. Don't text him in the middle of the night.
- 4. Don't text too much.
- 5. Don't text him first after a first date if he has said he's going to text you.
- 6. Don't text him when you're looking for validation.
- 7. If he has cheated on you before, don't text him.
- 8. Don't text him if he's an ex and you want to close
- 9. Don't text him when he's intentionally withdrawing.
- Text him the rules
- 10. Only text him if you really need something.
- 11. Text him when you want to make plans.
- 12. Text him first if you're both already in a relationship.
- 13. Text him when you have an important topic to discuss.
- 14. Text him when you want to apologize.
- 15. Text him when he's going through something difficult.
- 16. Text him when you miss him.
- 17. Text him when you have something exciting to share.
- How Not to Text Him When You Shouldn't
- final thoughts
Is it bad to text a guy first?
"Should I text him first or should I wait for him to text me?"
Is it bad to text a guy first?
It's totally fine to text a guy first! In fact, sometimes texting him first is the right move. It all depends on the situation and your relationship with him.
When is it okay to text him first?
- If you really need something.
- ask him out.
- If you haven't heard from him in a while and want to make sure everything is okay.
- After their first date where they both had a great connection and left on good terms.
When is it wrong to text him first?
- After a long silence.
- If he has treated you badly in the past.
- Asking a question that could easily wait for another day.
- When you keep texting him and he hasn't texted back.
- If it is something that can be discussed in person.
- After a first date, when you both had a mediocre to bad connection and left on awkward terms.
If you're just getting to know each other, he might seem too eager or desperate to initiate contact before he does.
Should I write to him? 17 rules you should know
"Who should write first, him or me?" This is a common dilemma many girls face. Unfortunately, the answer is not so black or white.
There are certain situations where it's okay to text him first, and others where you should wait for him to text you.
How do you know the difference?
Don't send him rules
1. Don't text him when you're drunk.
Drunken texts are often embarrassing and pitiful, and you don't always get the message you want.
That's because alcohol affects your ability to think clearly, as well as your judgment and decision making.
When you're drunk, it's easy to make mistakes or write something you may later regret, which can lead to hurt feelings, misunderstandings, and unnecessary drama. Alcohol also lowers your inhibitions, so you're more likely to write something inappropriate or offensive.
Texting while drunk can also give the other person the wrong impression of you, especially if they don't know you well.
2. Don't text him when you're angry.
Are you frustrated that he didn't text you after your date? Or maybe he said something that upset you last time.
Definitely don't text him while you're angry. It's never a good idea to hit send when your emotions are running high.
They are likely to fill your message with accusations and hurtful words that can do more harm than good and make the situation worse. They also may not understand why you're upset, which could lead to further misunderstandings.
3. Don't text him in the middle of the night.
Who wants to be woken up in the middle of the night by a text? Nobody!
That's why it's best to avoid texting someone in the middle of the night unless the situation is urgent. And even in an emergency, think twice before sending that message.
Could it wait until tomorrow? If this is not possible, can someone else handle this emergency?
If you don't know him that well, don't text him late at night, as this could make him uncomfortable and will most likely make a bad impression.
4. Don't text too much.
If you don't know him well or if your relationship is still in its infancy, don't bombard him with messages. It will be annoying and put a lot of pressure on you and make you feel like you have to reply to all your messages.
Sending more than one message at a time makes you look overly anxious or desperate, which can be very distracting.
So don't text him too often and don't send long conversations in one message. Keep your texts short, sweet and to the point.
5. Don't text him first after a first date if he has said he's going to text you.
We've all had that "I'll call or text you" line after a first date. Sometimes that line is genuine, and sometimes it's just a polite way of saying goodbye, especially if the date didn't go well.
If he's said he's going to text you, don't break that unspoken rule by texting him first. Wait for it to move. If it doesn't happen within a few days, don't lose hope; Sometimes people are busy or just don't know what to say after a date.
But if he hasn't responded to you after several days, feel free to take the initiative and send him a message. Rule of thumb: only write after three days. That way, you won't come across as overly anxious or desperate.
6. Don't text him when you're looking for validation.
If you don't feel good and are looking for his approval, get off your phone!
Trusting another person to make you feel better is aSigns of low self-esteem..
It is alsomanipulative, as it puts the other person in an awkward position, expecting them to give you the validation you need.
Instead, focus on building your self-esteem and don't look for validation from another person. You can do this by finding activities that make you feel good, such as B. playing sports or pursuing hobbies.
7. If he has cheated on you before, don't text him.
Silence is a way of saying, "I don't want to talk to you anymore" without saying anything.
It's a cowardly step, and it's best to keep going and not look back. He's made it clear that he doesn't want to talk to you, so don't try it again.
Don't waste time contacting someone who doesn't even care enough to respond. There are many other people out there who appreciate you.
And if he texts you again afterwardsyou are ghostly, don't be afraid to ask him why he blew you away in the first place. This will help you decide if he is worth dating or not.
8. Don't text him if he's an ex and you want to close
Never text an ex to break up if you really don't want to get back together. Sending a message will only give them false hope and make you feel more confused and hurt than before.
The best way to get away from an ex is to cut off all contact with him. That means they don't have to text, chat, or check their social media profiles. They shouldn't even be friends on Facebook!
It's time to focus on yourself and let your ex take no more of your mental energy. trust us; You don't need them in your life.
9. Don't text him when he's intentionally withdrawing.
We were all there, you really like that boy, and then we went outthe blue, starts to move away from youfor no apparent reason. It could tell you that he needs space or that he is not ready for a relationship.
Whatever the reason, if you don't want to get caught up in a never-ending cycle of confusion and heartbreak, it's best not to text him again. It will only make things worse because he is already trying to put distance between you.
If he contacts you, ask him to be honest about his intentions for the relationship. If he can't give you a straight answer or isn't willing to commit,It's time to moveand find someone else who deserves your love.
More related articles
77 cute text messages that will make you smile
Make Sure You're Dating Someone With These 27 Signs
Are text message breakups okay or do they make you cowardly?
Text him the rules
10. Only text him if you really need something.
If you need help with anything, feel free to contact him and send him a message. Whether it's a question about a project or advice on how to handle a difficult situation, don't hesitate to ask for help.
Just don't get used to leaning on him for everything, it will work in your favor.one-sided relationship, and you won't feel appreciated. It also indicates that you do not trust yourself to make decisions on your own.
11. Text him when you want to make plans.
It's perfectly okay to take the initiative and text him when you want to meet up, hang out, or go on a date. Starting a conversation is also a great way to show him that you're interested and that you don't have to wait for him to make the first move.
However, be careful not to spread a hopeless mood. If he doesn't show interest, don't keep texting him relentlessly; Just go ahead and don't take it personally.
12. Text him first if you're both already in a relationship.
In an established relationship, feel free to text him first if you want to hang out or just say hi. This will show him that you don't take your relationship for granted and that you don't expect him to always be the one to initiate conversations.
And don't be afraid to be a little flirty! Texting can be a great way to keep the spark alive and remind your partner why they chose you in the first place. It also shows that you don't take your relationship for granted.
13. Text him when you have an important topic to discuss.
If something important needs to be addressed, feel free to text him and let him know what's on your mind. Feel free to contact us, whether it is a personal problem or a work related matter.
Talking over text can prevent misunderstandings, clear things up, and help you come to an agreement. It also helps you carry on difficult conversations without the added pressure of looking him in the eye.
14. Text him when you want to apologize.
You did something wrong. Text him and apologize. A sincere apology can go a long way in making amends for any damage you have caused to your relationship.
It is important to address the issue as soon as possible and not wait too long before reaching out, as this can show a lack of respect and understanding on your part.
Be humble and don't make excuses, don't be afraid to admit when you're wrong, and don't let your ego get in the way.
15. Text him when he's going through something difficult.
We all have our tough days, so don't hesitate to text him when he's going through a tough time and offer your support. It can be as simple as telling him that you're there for him if he needs to talk, or just reminding him that better days are ahead.
It's a nice gesture and lets him know you're not taking your rrelationship as a matter of course. You will appreciate it and it might just be a reminder to get back on track.
16. Text him when you miss him.
If you miss your husband and want to let him know, feel free to send him a text!
A simple "I miss you" message can change your day. It's a small gesture that will make him feel appreciated and remind him why he likes you in the first place.
Just don't overdo it - don't text too much, and don't make a habit of relying on your man to make yourself feel better.
Do you have exciting news? Send him a text and don't be afraid to show off a little. Whether you got that promotion you wanted or finally achieved something you've been working towards, don't hesitate to share the news with your man.
He will appreciate it, and being a part of your success will make him proud. It is also an opportunity to celebrate together and celebrate a small victory.
How Not to Text Him When You Shouldn't
We've discussed when it's okay to text him and when it's not, but how do you avoid texting him when you know it's not a good idea? We know it can be hard to hear from him.
But you must maintain your class and your confidence, friend. Here are some tips to help you stay strong.
- Step away from your phone:The best way to avoid texting him is to stay away from his phone in the first place. If it's not available, don't worry about hitting submit!
- Change their name on your phone:If you don't want to delete your contact, try changing their name on your phone. Renaming it something like "don't write" or "wait for him to write first" will be a great reminder when NOT to hit the submit button.
- Think about the consequences:Take a minute to think about the consequences of texting him – will it have a positive impact on your relationship? Or could things get worse if you don't wait for him to text first?
- Talk to someone:Talk to your friend or family member about why you're having trouble following the rule about not texting them when it's inappropriate. They can offer valuable advice to help you break this useless habit.
- find distraction:Distraction is always your friend when you're resisting an urge. Find something else to distract yourself from the urge to text him. From jogging to working on a project, take one step at a time and you'll get there.
- Be honest with yourself:Take a look at how often he communicates with you compared to you. If the odds are in your favor, take a step back and don't text him for a while. This gives him space to miss you and think about you.
Texting can be a great way to keep in touch with someone, but knowing when it's appropriate is crucial.
Remember: when in doubt, ask yourself: "Do I want to receive this message?" or "Will this message have a positive impact on our relationship?"
If the answer is no, it's probably best not to submit it. By following these 17 rules, you'll be sure to text your man like a pro! Good luck!
What are the rules for texting a guy? ›
- 1) Text him based on his effort. When we start talking to someone you like, it's easy to go overboard. ...
- 2) You don't always need to talk. You don't need constant communication with each other when you first start texting a guy. ...
- 3) Keep the conversation light-hearted and fun.
- Do reply promptly. ...
- Don't text during inappropriate moments. ...
- Do keep texts short. ...
- Don't text sensitive news. ...
- Do re-read your texts before sending. ...
- Don't send too many attachments. ...
- Don't forget to double-check the recipient. ...
- Do use proper grammar.
Popularized by the romcom, the three-day dating rule insists that a person wait three full days before contacting a potential suitor. A first-day text or call is too eager, a second-day contact seems planned, but three days is, somehow, the perfect amount of time.How long should a guy go without texting you? ›
Give it a few days (or even a week).
It might feel tough waiting for him to text you, but your crush might truly be busy and unable to respond to your messages right away. Waiting 2–3 days or up to a week before reaching out gives him a chance to text you first once he realizes what he's missing.
- Go on regular dates. ...
- Spend time by yourself. ...
- Go back to where you had your first date. ...
- Focus on communication. ...
- Laugh together. ...
- Get away together. ...
- Try to understand each other. ...
- Listen to Them.
The simple definition of double texting is this: You send two or more text messages to someone before they send you a response. The general idea is that someone who can't wait long enough for a response (and thus texts again) is clingy, needy, and lacking the social decency needed to give someone time to respond.What is cold texting? ›
What is cold texting? Cold texting is reaching out via SMS to a contact without their prior consent or permission. It's similar to cold calling and cold emailing. Some examples that would lead to cold texting include: Purchasing a contact list from a third party.What is the 72 hour rule dating? ›
02/7What is the 72-hour rule? This rule is simple. Whenever something tends to upset you or someone's actions or words infuriate you, wait for 72 hours before showing your emotions. In simpler words, hold back your immediate reaction and give yourself 72 hours before coming down to any conclusion.What is the 3-day rule texting a guy? ›
Popularized by the romcom, the three-day dating rule insists that a person wait three full days before contacting a potential suitor. A first-day text or call is too eager, a second-day contact seems planned, but three days is, somehow, the perfect amount of time.What is the 48 hour rule in dating? ›
Use the 48-hour rule.
If your partner does something hurtful or that makes you angry, it's important to communicate it. If you aren't sure that you want to bring something up, try waiting 48 hours. If it's still bothering you, let them know.
How do you make him miss you and chase you? ›
- Deliberately leave things behind. ...
- Give him some personal space. ...
- Make him wait before replying his texts. ...
- Take things slow. ...
- Wear a unique perfume. ...
- Add some mystery to your experiences together. ...
- Have adventures with him (and your friends)
- The Ball Is In Your Court Text. “Last night was fun. ...
- The Give Me Advice Text. “I need new headphones, do you have any suggestions?”
- The Short and Sweet Text. “I work till 6. ...
- The Pick the Place Text. “Do you want to meet at Smitty's at 6 tomorrow for Happy Hour?” ...
- The Sexy Text.
Key Takeaways. If a guy does not text you back immediately, there might be valid reasons like preoccupation with work, wanting some space, or being just not into you. When he does not text you back, do not bombard him with texts. Focus on yourself and go out and enjoy yourself with your friends.When a guy stops texting as much what do you do? ›
- Consider Moving On. ...
- Don't Take It Personally. ...
- Give Him Space. ...
- Distract Yourself With Other Things. ...
- Try to Get Him to Do Something in Person. ...
- Reach Out to Him in Another Way. ...
- Straight-Up Ask Him Why He Stopped Texting. ...
- Maybe He's Just Not That Into You.
Most of the time, when a guy doesn't respond to a text immediately, he's just busy. Either he is busy with work, or maybe he's visiting family. He could also be running some household errands. Give him some time, and he'll get back to you.What can make a guy lose interest in you? ›
- 9 Reasons Why Men Lose Interest & What You Can Do About It. ...
- Something weird happened. ...
- The guy was only so interested to begin with. ...
- You flipped the chase. ...
- He found a supposedly better deal. ...
- There was something funny about the sex. ...
- He kinda forgot how cool you were. ...
- You had incompatible attachment styles.
Sexual compatibility is one of the top reasons a man chooses a woman over another. Many men prefer a woman that matches their sexual styles. These styles may include her moves, the way she kisses, the way she dresses, and so on.
Clear communication, respect, and honesty can go a long way in helping them open up and reveal their innermost desires or insecurities. While you need to pay attention to their unspoken words and cues, giving them their personal space is also important in strengthening the relationship and communication further.How long is too long double text? ›
A study from the dating app Hinge shows that double-texting can increase a date's likelihood to respond. The key is to wait four hours before the second text. Sending a second text even a week later increased the likelihood of a response.Should I stop double-texting? ›
Double-texting, or messaging two times before someone responds, is viewed as taboo in modern dating. While double-texting can feel bad, therapists say there is no rule for how much you should text. If you feel bad about double-texting, put your phone down and let the other person reply at their own pace.
How many times should a couple text? ›
Should couples talk every day? According to Gordon, texting at least four times a week is healthy, but at least once every day is ideal. “It feels nice to wake up to a 'good morning' text, and it's also nice when your partner sends you a sweet text to say good night before they go to sleep,” she added.What is dry texting? ›
Dry texting is what happens when someone sends you short replies that don't move the conversation forward. It usually consists of one-word answers like the dreaded 'K,' says dating coach Alexis Germany.Why do guys send dry texts? ›
He might be busy, he might not like texting, or he might not be into you. Dry texting is incredibly frustrating, but try to be patient for the first couple of short texts or long response times. If he starts the conversation up again or starts sending more detailed messages, he was probably just busy.What are dry texters like? ›
As a phrase, “dry texting” is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things. It refers to people who reply with one word, or don't carry the conversation and just say things like “lmao” and “wyd” until the receiver wants to tear their hair out in frustration or boredom.How do you make him miss you without texting? ›
- 01/6Tips to make your man miss you. ...
- 02/6Be mysterious enough. ...
- 03/6Have a fun time without him. ...
- 04/6Make him feel a little bit jealous. ...
- 05/6Don't reply to his calls or texts immediately. ...
- 06/6Don an addictive smell.
Guys love hearing what you like about them.
You could mention how he looks, how he handles a situation, or how you feel about him. Just try to stay away from heavy-handed compliments if you don't mean them though; guys can see right through them.
A week gives the person enough time to thoughtfully respond.
Even though it's a little old-fashioned, some people will wait 3 days after a date to text you back to make you miss them more. Waiting any longer than a week could be a sign they're not interested, and it might be best to let the conversation die out.
The 2-2-2 Rule involves going on a date night every two weeks, spending a weekend away every two months and taking a week-long vacation away every two years.How many dates until you sleep with a guy? ›
On average, men reported waiting about five dates, and women reported a preference of waiting closer to nine dates. Overall the average was about eight dates.How many days apart is healthy in a relationship? ›
How long should space in a relationship last? Ultimately, this depends on what you and your partner decide is best for your relationship. “Space can be from a couple of hours to a couple of days or weeks,” says Ruiz, though he generally doesn't recommend his clients take longer than 3 to 4 weeks.
How often does a guy text if he's into you? ›
There are no specific times a guy should text you when he likes you, but he must be consistent. A guy who genuinely likes you will text you at least once a day. Also, after a discussion about getting to know each other, he will randomly text to check up on you and text you good morning and good night.What are red flags when texting a guy? ›
Who is holding the reins in the text message?" "A notion of intimacy, too much information too soon, or trying to develop too close a relationship before the relationship has had a chance to progress, can be a red flag of insecure attachment, and a neediness in their approach."Should a guy text u everyday? ›
How guys text when they like you can vary, (and dating tips for texting will vary depending who you ask), but texting every day is a sure sign that you are on the same page. If a guy texts you every day, even if you're the one initiating conversation, he is definitely interested.What is the 37% rule in dating? ›
The magic figure turns out to be 37 percent. To have the highest chance of picking the very best suitor, you should date and reject the first 37 percent of your total group of lifetime suitors. (If you're into math, it's actually 1/e, which comes out to 0.368, or 36.8 percent.)How long to wait to sleep with someone you're dating? ›
In a new survey, the average person said eight dates is the "acceptable" time to wait to have sex. People also said that they don't "always" kiss on the first date, even if it's going well. Millenials also wait 48 hours to ask about a second date, while older people wait three days, on average.How long is too long no contact? ›
While 30 days is a good rule of thumb, everybody is different. Some people move on really fast after a breakup, while other people take a long time. If 30 days pass and you still aren't ready, it's totally okay to extend your period of no contact.How do you make a man crave you? ›
- Call him by cute names often:
- Keep him guessing:
- Touch him unexpectedly:
- Small changes do make a big difference:
- Compliment him often:
- Take him down the memory lane:
- Give him ample space:
- Smell good at all times:
A lover who is confident in bed. Men appreciate a woman who understands her own sexuality and for good reason. “Older men want someone who is comfortable in her own skin and who isn't afraid to be intimate,” says licensed sex and marriage therapist, Dr.What do guys secretly find attractive? ›
Being passionate in your relationship is always going to be attractive, but they also find passion in other areas equally sexy. A woman that's passionate about their job or a hobby will be incredibly attractive to most men. They love to see someone who really cares about something and puts their heart and soul into it.What guys want to hear? ›
- of 21. "I'm so lucky to have you" ...
- of 21. "I appreciate all you do for me" ...
- of 21. "You're a great father" ...
- of 21. "You look buff" ...
- of 21. "I'm listening" ...
- of 21. "I'm sorry" ...
- of 21. "Your friends are fun" ...
- of 21. "Good morning.
How do I get him to text me more often? ›
- Ask him about his day.
- Pose a few fun, open-ended questions.
- Bring up your common interests.
- Flatter him with a compliment.
- Be a little mysterious.
- Send him a few pics.
- Make plans to meet up in person.
- Have a reason for texting him.
Expressing yourself is the best way to make him fall for you over text because if he does end up loving you, you'll know that it was all because of who you are at heart. Being vulnerable, and texting the way you talk (using similar slang or words that you would in real life) are great ways to be yourself while texting.How do you break a guy's heart nicely? ›
- Tell your BF or GF that you want to talk about something important.
- Start by mentioning something you like or value about the other person. ...
- Say what's not working (your reason for the break-up). ...
- Say you want to break up. ...
- Say you're sorry if this hurts. ...
- Say something kind or positive.
Two or three times a week if you're keeping it casual. If you've only gone on a couple of dates so far, it might seem like you're coming on too strong if you text every day. Try to check in when your partner isn't busy, like in the evenings or on the weekends since they'll probably reply sooner.Do you have to text a guy everyday? ›
When you're developing a relationship with someone, you should hear from them on a consistent basis. It should feel predictable and comfortable for both of you and for your lifestyles. For some couples, this might mean a few texts per day. For others, it might mean speaking a few times per week.What is the give him 3 days rule? ›
Popularized by the romcom, the three-day dating rule insists that a person wait three full days before contacting a potential suitor. A first-day text or call is too eager, a second-day contact seems planned, but three days is, somehow, the perfect amount of time.How many times should a guy text if he likes you? ›
There are no specific times a guy should text you when he likes you, but he must be consistent. A guy who genuinely likes you will text you at least once a day. Also, after a discussion about getting to know each other, he will randomly text to check up on you and text you good morning and good night.What annoys guys when texting? ›
1/3 of men think more than 3 emojis in a text is too many emojis. Only 21 percent of men use emojis themselves. 3. Making vague suggestions that he entertain you, such as: "I'm bored," "What r u up to?," and "Heyy hows it goin?" (This is for those of you in the dating world.)What does it mean when a guy slows down texting you? ›
If your dude has slowed down his responses to your texts or if he's not returning your calls, there's a good chance that he's being a wuss and slowly making an exit. "The guy may start to communicate less, so no more good morning text messages, shortened responses and fewer details about his life," explains Ritter.Can a guy like you and not text you? ›
Can he? Yes, very much so. He could be scared of texting you too much and coming across as desperate. So he may not be texting you because he does not want to come across that way.
What he thinks when you don t text him? ›
1 He thinks you're busy. 2 He's trying to brush it off. 3 He might think you're playing “hard to get.” 4 He's worried you're ignoring him because you're upset.How often should a guy want to see you? ›
For best results, meeting her one to three times a week is a great idea. This will ensure she doesn't feel suffocated and will maintain her interest in you. The biggest upside to this strategy is that your relationship will progress naturally and as quickly or as slowly as you both want it to.When should you just let him go? ›
If they don't notice that you're not as invested as you were and they do nothing to fix it, it signals the time for letting him go. When you've decided that you can't continue living the way you have been, it may be time to tell your partner that you want to end the relationship.How do you give him space and make him chase you? ›
The biggest tip for how to give a guy space is to be genuine about it. Instead of viewing it as a game, go out and live your life. Connect with friends, be independent, show him that you love spending time with him, but you're just as happy to be on your own if he isn't interested.How long can I give him space? ›
How long to give him space? There is no fixed time, and it could be weeks or months, depending on your relationship status. If your guy has asked you for space, give him all the time he needs and wait for him to reach out to you when he is sorted.Can guys fall in love over text? ›
A lot of studies have shown that texting is a great way to start a romance, especially because of how convenient it is and doesn't make the people involved feel the awkwardness that comes with meeting in person. An interesting research even found that it takes 163 text messages to fall in love with someone!